Stroke Rehabilitation Success Stories

Learn How John Regained His Ability To Walk Through Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Click Here To Learn More About Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Or Call Our Patient Service Representatives at (855) 869-3554

It’s Great to Be Able to Walk on My Own Again!

“On January 6, 2000, I went in for an angiogram because I more or less failed a treadmill test. I just could not do it at all. I was huffing and puffing, and they had to stop it. They decided to do an angiogram and while I was watching it on the screen, they knocked off a piece of plaque that caused a stroke. It was not what I would call a normal stroke caused by your own body.

“They put me in intensive care for several days, and then put me down in another room. I had to be helped to go to the bathroom, because I just couldn’t walk. My legs were mush. They were like wet noodles.

“I had double vision, really double vision. While looking at the TV, I saw two superimposed on each other. I was laying there for 2 or 3 days and I said “Why don’t you send me up to therapy?” But no, they could not do that.

“So my kids came and said, “Do you want to go out of here and have hyperbaric oxygen therapy at Whitaker Wellness?” I said, “I want to go!” It was like, rescue me! I had a subscription to your newsletter, so I knew all about you. Well, the doctor came in, and tried to tell me that there was nothing proven about hyperbaric. But my family signed me out against the hospital’s wishes.

“At your clinic, I had hyperbaric, chelation, and EECP. From literally having to be helped to walk, I graduated to a walker, and I could do that on my own, but it was tedious.

“And then, after a few sessions of hyperbaric, I was carrying the walker because it was a nuisance. It just went from there to better all the way. I still have a little bit of double vision in my left eye, but generally I’m really much, much, much better.

“Thank you, Dr. Whitaker! It’s great to be able to walk on my own again!”

— Jacqueline Monaco, Yorba Linda, California*

I Can Drive Again

“My husband had been taking the newsletter for several years. He talked me into going to your clinic because I had a stroke. I couldn’t even get out of bed when I had the stroke, and I was in rehab for a couple of weeks after my hospitalization. It was a lot of work learning to walk again.

“Your clinic got me off of the prescription drugs for thyroid, hormones, and blood pressure. Now I take natural hormone and natural thyroid therapy and those are the only medications. Everything else is vitamins and supplements.

“When I went to your clinic, I wasn’t driving yet. Now I can drive. I don’t go long distances but I can run little errands, just in the neighborhood. I have more confidence being able to do that and I’m also able to get out and work in the garden and do some light housework that I hadn’t been doing. I can do more things all the time.

“Your staff said I was headed for diabetes because my blood sugar was so high. After just a week at your clinic, from Monday to Friday, it had improved to where it was a normal reading.

“Now my health is much better. My cholesterol and insulin, all my blood work is better. And my gout improved, too. Before, I would have an episode probably every other week. Sometimes I got so bad I couldn’t get my shoes on. Now I’ve only had a couple of problems since March.

“I’ve lost 20 pounds so far and I would like to lose more. When I came home, I threw away all the bad stuff and then went shopping at the health food store. That will make a difference. It may be slow, but we will stick to it.

“I’m sorry I didn’t start at your clinic 20 years ago. Oh, it’s wonderful! I would recommend it to anyone.”

 Virginia S., Colorado*

Your Program Changed My Life

“My husband and I spent a week at your clinic after I had a stroke and have now been to your clinic four times. I have been taking Forward Plus and other specific nutraceuticals prescribed at your clinic, and I exercise regularly.

“I have been in good health for the last seven years, and have gotten off most medications. Your program has changed my life for the better. I am 80 years old, and God willing, I will continue to enjoy my senior years. Thank you all so much.”

 Jean Detels, Bainbridge Island, Washington*

Nothing Short of Miraculous

Vic, a 71-year-old who had two strokes in the summer of 1999, left the hospital in a wheelchair with severe speech, vision, and hearing deficits. After one month in a rehabilitation center, he was sent home. His wife was advised that there was no hope of improvement and it was suggested that she put him in a nursing home.

Refusing to accept this, his wife called the Whitaker Wellness Institute for help. She brought her husband to the clinic for hyperbaric oxygen therapy some six months after his initial stroke and he returned for a second course of treatment a few months later. One day when the director of our hyperbaric center arrived at work, he noticed Vic and his wife walking around the parking lot. They had come to express their gratitude and show us how miraculously far Vic had come. Although he continues to have a little trouble with his balance, Vic walks at least a mile a day and is back to his former activities. His improvements, according to both Vic and his wife, are “nothing short of miraculous.”

— from Health & Healing by Julian Whitaker, MD

Walking, Talking, Writing Normally

Dorothy had diabetes and high blood pressure. She and her sister Sandra had set a date to come to the clinic when, right before they were to leave, Dorothy had a stroke. Sandra called to let us know what had happened and to cancel their one-week Back To Health Program. Their Patient Service Representative, however, told her that for patients like Dorothy, the very best time to receive treatment was immediately after a stroke, and encouraged them to go ahead with their plans to come to the clinic.

Sandra and Dorothy decided to push forward, even though Dorothy was partially paralyzed, could only walk with a shuffle, had slurred speech, and such difficulty using her right hand that she couldn’t even sign her name. During her first week at the clinic, Dorothy made amazing progress. After just two hyperbaric oxygen treatments, along with IV therapies and other modalities her doctor had prescribed, Dorothy was walking normally, her speech was fine, and she was able to sign her name.

When I spoke with Dorothy to get her story, I thought maybe I had the wrong sister!  I truly could not tell she’d had a stroke. Talking to her was an absolute inspiration!  This peppy, striking woman told me about her recovery and how, much to her delight, she was also getting off her diabetes and high blood pressure medications. With the help of her Whitaker Wellness doctor, Dorothy said, she was in better control of her health than she had been in the last 10 years.

— from Connie’s Corner by Connie Whitaker

Unprecedented Progress

In November 2007, John Wycislak suffered a stroke that robbed him of his ability to walk, talk, and swallow. Confined to a wheelchair and fed through a tube, he was given little expectation of recovery.

The following summer, his wife Theresa learned about the rehabilitation benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) and brought John to Whitaker Wellness. When he arrived, he couldn’t even stand without assistance. But after five hyperbaric sessions, he was able, with a little help, to take a few halting steps. Two months into treatment, his swallowing reflex returned and he began eating again.

Since his treatment course, John has made unprecedented progress. His memory has dramatically improved, and he’s talking and joking again. He has continued with physical therapy, and he’s now able to pull himself up and walk with the aid of a walker and a little assistance. Theresa, who calls Whitaker Wellness “a little patch of heaven on Earth,” reports that John is getting better and better every day.

— from Health & Healing by Julian Whitaker, MD

Walked Away From Wheelchair

Billie McGee, a charming 81-year-old from Alabama, has had a rough go of it the last few years. She had a severe stroke in 2002, and although she eventually learned to walk again, she continued to have balance problems. Three years later, she had a heart attack, followed by a quadruple bypass, valve replacement, and a pacemaker. But the worst was yet to come.

In 2008, Billie suffered multiple small strokes that temporarily robbed her of her eyesight, hearing, and ability to walk. Although she recovered to some degree, her balance remained impaired and she experienced occasional dizziness. She also had severe pain and numbness in her legs and was treated with vein bypass, with no lasting relief. As a result, this once-active woman—who was a master gardener, an accomplished seamstress, and a talented singer—was forced to spend most of her time in a wheelchair.

One thing Billie had in her favor was perseverance and a willingness to work hard. When her doctors back home told her there was nothing more they could do for her, she decided it was time to pay the clinic a visit. So, in April 2011, accompanied by her sister and daughter, Billie came to the Whitaker Wellness Institute.

Billie enrolled in our Back to Health Program and was treated with a number of therapies aimed at restoring activity in the affected areas of her brain, improving circulation, reducing pain in her legs, and regaining function.

To that end, she underwent a course of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) to “wake up” damaged neurons along with physical therapy to help restore lost function. She received neurofeedback, a form of biofeedback that helps “retrain” brainwaves, and microcurrent therapy, reflexology, and therapeutic massage for pain relief. She was also prescribed a comprehensive nutritional supplement program that addressed all aspects of her condition.

I chatted with Billie and her family whenever I ran into them at my lectures or in the waiting room, and every week I could see her getting better and better. She reported that the pain in her legs was improving and sensation was returning. The unrelenting fatigue that had plagued her was beginning to lift. She was also feeling steadier on her feet and was walking more and using her wheelchair less and less.

A few days before Billie returned home, I spoke with her and asked how she was doing. She proudly announced that she could now walk to the end of our building and back unassisted. In fact, she was doing so much better that her wheelchair was in the trunk of the car. That’s how seldom she was using it!

— from Health & Healing by Julian Whitaker, MD

 *Individual Results May Vary 

Print Friendly